Sanchez and dad

Francisco Sanchez-Reyes, 73, left, died Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020, about two weeks after he was attacked by another patient at a Long Beach hospital on Jan. 31, according to family and police. Sanchez-Reyes is pictured here with his oldest son, Ramon Sanchez, 48, right. The two are pictured in a photo a few years before Sanchez-Reyes' death, at Sanchez's 25-year anniversary with his wife.

A 73-year-old Long Beach grandfather died over the weekend, about two weeks after he was attacked by another patient he shared a room with at a Long Beach hospital, police said Monday as they announced an arrest in the incident.

At around 12:30 p.m. Jan. 31, police responded to reports of battery at local hospital and when they arrived, officers learned that the victim had major injuries to his upper torso after being attacked by a man who shared a room with him as another patient, Long Beach police said Monday. The victim, Francisco Sanchez-Reyes, was taken to another local hospital in critical condition, police said.

Police said that the arrest and assault occurred at the same location, which according to arrest records, was 2776 Pacific Ave. That’s the address of College Medical Center.

Representatives for College Medical Center could not immediately be reached for comment.

After the attack the suspect, Reginald Daniel Panthier, 37, of Long Beach, was taken into custody at the hospital and booked on suspicion of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon that’s not a firearm and producing great bodily harm against an elder, police said. He was being held on $1 million at the Long Beach City Jail, according to police.

The motive for the attack remains under investigation, Long Beach police spokeswoman Jennifer De Prez said.

“Right now, we don’t know anything about what happened,” the victim’s son, Ramon Sanchez, said. “All we know is this thing happened and now we’re dealing with it. My dad is gone.”

Sanchez-Reyes — a father to eight, grandfather to 24 and great-grandfather to eight — was a loving and gentle man who worked hard to support his family, Sanchez said. Sanchez’s father came to Southern California from Mexico to give his family a better life, he said.

“He’s kind of like a self-made man, working hard providing for the family and taking care of the family,” Sanchez, 48, said. “He’s very charismatic, if you meet him on the streets he makes a friend with everyone.”

Sanchez held his father’s hand when he died.

He’s heartbroken that he won’t be able to attend Sanchez’s first son’s wedding in June, the same month that Sanchez-Reyes would’ve celebrated his 74th birthday.

Sanchez-Reyes initially went to the hospital because he had a urinary tract infection, according to a GoFundMe for Sanchez-Reyes’ family. The hospital wanted to keep Sanchez-Reyes overnight to do some tests to rule out ulcers, the GoFundMe said.

Last week, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office charged Panthier with assault with a deadly weapon that is not a firearm and producing great bodily harm against an elder, police said. Detectives said they plan to discuss amending charges with the District Attorney’s Office this week.

Load comments